Small Things

When people ask me, so what do you like best about Uganda? I don't know what to say. There's not really one good answer. So I just tell them about the little things that I'm enjoying - like the blue sky and the sunshine. It's nice to have time to just sit while I'm eating lunch or drinking tea to just look at the sky and enjoy the sun. And i tell people that the food here is great. Rice in America is not good. Rice in the Solomons and in Uganda is way better. And all the sauces that they cook here are great - they make this one with peanuts which are called g-nuts, which are pounded in a big mortar and pestle for a really long time till it turns into a paste. Or beans are very frequent. And motooke is awesome. And so is street food, like chapati, or rolex, which is made of chapati with basically fried egg rolled inside. And mandazi (which I was super excited to try in the part of the world where it originated) and donuts.

But just like it's the small things that bring me joy, it's the small things that frustrate me, like not being able to drink good coffee, which is irrational because there is so much tea here that I'm enjoying drinking. But it makes sense - big challenges you can encounter with the mindset that you need to have a good attitude, but the smaller things creep in and annoy you before you realize it.

The thing I'm realizing is that the small things like stars and kind people that are bringing me delight are things that I can find anywhere. So I like them here, but I could also like them wherever I go. So I'm just grateful that God gives us the means to enjoy life wherever we're at, in any situation.

Comments

Popular Posts